Symptoms and Prevention of Dengue Fever
Dengue is a disease caused by bite of infected mosquito. Dengue is of four types and mostly common in tropical regions. Usually a mosquito bites an infected person and then transmits it to healthy persons, Dengue cannot be transmitted from one person to other directly. Some of the symptoms of dengue are
● Abrupt set on of high fever usually in the range of 103F to 105 F
● Headaches usually in forehead
● Feeling of nausea and vomiting
● Severe abdominal pain
● Thirst,paleness and weakness
● Pain behind eyes
● Skin Rash or purple or red spots on skin usually after three to four days after fever
● Bleeding from nose and gums
● Black stool and vomiting in case of Gastro intestinal bleeding
● Pale skin, low blood pressure and weakness when suffering from dengue shock syndrome
Sometimes the symptoms are mild or are not present at all specially in younger children or people without having infection before. In other cases the infection is confused with flu or other viral infection. People which are held victim twice or weak immunity systems are prone to dengue hemorrhage fever that results in collapsing of blood vessels,severe abdominal pain, enlargement of liver and death.
Blood tests are advised for presence of antibodies to diagnose dengue. Usually a visit to tropical area calls for a full routine check up to avoid dengue fever. There are no vaccines or specific drugs to treat dengue fever. People are advised to use paracetamol for treating fever and pain instead of aspirin which thins the blood and can cause acute bleeding.Usually people recover in ten days but need thirty days to recover at fullest. People who rest, take fluids and eat nutritious diet are tend to recover earliest. Even if the symptoms are mild people are advised to consult doctor for proper and complete treatment.
As disease is caused by mosquitoes the best way to prevent the disease is to prevent oneself from mosquitoes by protecting one’s self and destroying the areas for breeding population of the mosquitoes.
● It is advisable to stay in clean and healthy environment and avoid residence in crowded areas where there is stagnant water
● Use mosquito nets and sprays indoors
● Keep infected people under mosquito nets to avoid spreading of virus
● Try to stay in air conditioning
● Use full sleeved shirt and tuck your trouser in socks two hours before and after sunset
● If any symptoms of dengue fever appears consult your physician at earliest
Get rid of places and pots that contain stagnant water and can be sources to breed mosquito population. If you have pets regularly change water and clean their bird cages.
If some one at your home get caught to dengue virus make sure to stay him inside mosquito net so that no mosquito can bite and then transmit disease to healthy persons. Vaccines are under test, until they came into market there is no obvious way to get saved from dengue other than keeping away from mosquitoes and consulting doctors while eating healthy if one gets ill.